Monday, April 16, 2007

First they came for the asylum seekers, muslims and now the mentally ill.

Am i the only one troubled by the mental health bill currently in parliament?
It includes provisions for detaining mentally ill people if the gov't thinks they may commit a crime in future. We now have 2 tiers of justice: the mentally ill have special provisions, and the 'sane' have theirs.
If this were happening in a dictatorship i.e. China and the Falun Gong, the gov't would get on its high horse and denounce the human rights abuses aimed at mentally ill people.

This government has excelled itself at attacking and targetting particular communities.
Bottom of the list and the most hated are asylum seekers. Blair's gov't was criticised for the inhumane policy aimed at asylum seekers by driving them into destitution. His gov't has deported asylum seekers back to theCongo, Zimbabwe, and recently Sudan where one deportee was tortured by Sudanese gov't agents and only managed to escape with his life by chance.
The attacks on muslims: internment, arbitrary arrests under the terrorism Acts , and the portrayal of muslims as fifth columnists frightens me about this country.

We can now add the mentally ill to that list.


First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
to speak up for me.
First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
to speak up for me.


People of Britain wake up! ID cards, anti terror legislation, ASBOs, CCTV proliferation, vehicle tracking, treatment of muslims, immigrants, asylum seekers are some examples of how this government is dangerous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home